We have featured a lot of DIY kids Halloween costumes in the past. This year, Katie gives a funny-punny year in review using couples Halloween costumes. And, they’re pretty easy to throw together at the last-minute.
Halloween is on a Saturday this year. Wait. Halloween is on a SATURDAY this year. That means there will be grown-up, parents-only parties (aka No Juice Boxes Allowed). And if no one is hosting one, you might just have to.
But wait, you will need a costume. It’s no longer OK to be a sultry nurse-maid at a party with the same parents you see at T-ball, and his and hers monkey jumpsuits is a tad basic. So go funny. Here’s a list of ideas from some of 2015’s highlights. If not for actual costumes, then just for your own amusement.
What would you add?
1. Deflate-Gate: Highlight the football conversation that won’t go away. One wears a Brady jersey and the other dresses in all brown, using white athletic tape to make the laces on chest. Across your back use the tape to write “11.5 PSI”. This was the air pressure level 10 of 12 balls were cited having. Or, one could be the deflated football and the other could be a picket fence(gate).
2. Katy Perry and the Left Shark: One of you goes as a buoyant beach ball-esque performer and the other is the kooky off-beat shark. Together you’re a Super Bowl XLIX sensation.
3. Cecil the Lion and the Dentist: Here’s the dentist you can really hate going to. Re-work a kid’s lion costume to fit one of you, while the other dresses all in white – and hands out toothbrushes.
4. Ariana Grande and a Donut: Pop star Grande was caught displaying her immaturity this 4th of July at a donut shop and her rudeness went viral. Why? She licked some of the fresh-baked goodies and said she hated America. You’ll just have to choose who gets to be the trick and who gets to be the treat.
5. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Big changes at the Apple store this year. Which size do you prefer? Make a two sizes of a “screen” out of cardboard, construction paper and markers, tape it to your chest and let the party be the judge.
6. #EqualPayDay: Nothing says #LeanInTogether than a partner who wears the same paycheck costume. #Askforit
7. Blank Space and Shake it Off: According to this, realizing you love Taylor Swift is the leading cause of vertigo in adults. I think most of us can admit we were Tay-zered this summer. Embrace it with one person dressed in all white (blank space). The other is in the slicked back ballerina costume from the Shake it Off video.
8. Joy and Bing Bong: Inside Out may have been more of a hit with parents than kids for the pure reality factor. Joy, the effervesent blue part of the brain being squelched by the 11-year old main character, brings happiness and enthusiasm to the party, while the sacrificial Bing Bong is the forgotten-hero: “Take her to the moon for me!”
9. The Super Moon: The lunar eclipse of Sept. 27, 2015 blew up the internet a tad less than a Kardashian when a full-perigee moon (i.e. a moon at its closest point to Earth) crossed into Earth's shadow. Together, the moon appeared blood-red hue. Your costumes? A shaded Earth and a large moon. But when you’re together, a red overlay appears.
10. Pizza Rat: If you didn’t watch the full viral video of the NYC rodent dragging a slice three-times its size down a set of stairs, I don’t blame you. But you probably heard of “Pizza Rat” and it could be pretty easy to dress as the cutest rat, while your partner wears a yellow top and sticks red pepperoni slices on top.
11. The Nae Nae: Just like you CAN’T go to a party without hearing the Nae Nae, you can’t resist this costume idea. One is a Whip. The other is Superman. Together, you’re the Nae Nae. Now watch me.
12. Water on Mars: One of you is the red planet. The other is a bottle of Poland Spring. Together, you just made some scientists’ heads spin.
13. The Blue Dress/White Dress: Remember the picture that shook up Facebook and divided houses and workplaces for days? Was it white and gold or blue and black? It’s both – when you both wear a version this Halloween.