Back to school season has started and Katie Bugbee is taking us back to where it all began – preschool. What life lessons would you add to this list?
As the new school year kicks off (some are a few weeks in already), I want to take us back to one of my favorite places... preschool. It’s the place kids learn to share, take turns, control themselves and build off each other’s ideas. It’s filled with excitement, tears, hugs… and sometimes the lingering scent of urine. It’s where every day starts and ends with a hug from a parent, friend, teacher and/or nanny. So let’s all go back for a second and reflect on the place – and the teachers – who taught our children and us some of life’s fundamental lessons. And as the school year goes into full swing and we see our children struggle and thrive, these 25 things are some of the most important lessons we can keep in mind… and can keep us all focused.
- We are all friends.. We must always treat each other that way
- The alphabet is pretty amazing. Every word starts with one of these letters. #mindblowing
- Don’t speak while someone else is talking. Even if you can’t wait to tell everyone that you and Charlie are both wearing blue shirts. It’s fantastic, but please hold that thought
- Some kids are just jerk-faces. And probably always will be (but please see #1) and don’t sink to their level
- If you don’t know what it is, you can touch it.. just don’t eat it. No really, DON’T EAT IT!
- Only divas throw tantrums #donaldtrump
- You get what you get and you don’t get upset (see #6)
- Keep your hands to yourself #benaffleck
- Cleaning up is more fun when you sing along to music
- Don’t take anything that isn’t yours #ashleymadison
- Balance work and play, every day
- Don’t hit or bite
- Take turns
- How to apologize -- and to accept an apology -- and move on
- Never steal
- If you’re mean, no one will want to play with you
- Sometimes you just need a nap
- Always help your friends (yup, see #1. That means everyone)
- Use your fingers to count #firstlifehack
- Teachers are amazing people
- Visuals make learning a lot easier
- There are no bad questions -- because bad questions are funny/adorable/charming -- which makes your question fantastic
- Love learning. And love sharing what you’ve learned
- Recess is like brain-food (go find your company gym)
- There are times to be silly -- and times when you need to cut the crap
- You can balance your Saltines with strawberries and call it a healthy snack
- Sometimes, you just need a hug
Good luck this year, friends. And remember #27 as much as possible while your kids go through whatever transition this year brings.