Now that we're two weeks into 2011, it’s time for true confessions: How are your New Year’s resolutions coming along? Like many of you, I'm committed to spending more quality time at home. But I'm finding that it's easy to slip into the regular routine of wake up, exercise (a resolution!), work, eat, spend time with Ron and Adam (Ryan's back at college), and sleep. But one thing I asked that Ron and I really commit to this year is date night. It doesn't have to be a fancy night in the city – we're just as happy going to our local Chinese restaurant or movie theater. It’s nice to just have time for the two of us.
Any marriage expert will tell you that it's important to check in with your partner and ask, “How are we doing? ” from time to time, so the Care Team and I decided to give YOU, our members, a check-up. We want to know – are Care.com parents making time for romance? Take our quiz below – I've taken it too! I’ll post the overall results on my February 1st blog entry.
I took the quiz, and here are my answers:
1. Ron and I definitely try to spend one night together each week – just the two of us over a bottle of Pinot noir or Thai food. Let’s be honest. It isn’t always candlelit with violins playing in the background, and Care.com sometimes sneaks into the conversation. But we make it a priority.
2. Getting out of the house is important for us, and we especially try to make our wedding anniversaries memorable. We’ve really been through a lot together (20 years this year!)– and we love to celebrate that!
3. We love getting out for Valentine’s Day. I know it can be over the top at some places, but I love a day that is committed to reminding our loved ones how much we love and care for them.
4. I have no qualms about leaving the kids at home with a sitter or our nanny because we trust them both. When you vet your caregiver well, it is the BIGGEST relief to be able to leave the house and have complete confidence that your children will be safe and happy.
5. Ron and I have absolutely hired a sitter, just for a date night. I've made it a priority at Care.com to enable parents to find help, even at the last minute, with Care-on-Call, which blasts out an alert to pre-screened caregivers for a near immediate response!
6. Of course, I can’t help calling home around bedtime, just to check in and say goodnight to Adam.
7. I’ll just say that it’s important to keep the passion alive!
Take the quiz, post your answers on my blog, and check back on February 1st to find out: Are Care.com parents making time for date night?