Over the holidays our boys were thrilled to enjoy some fresh-baked goods hot out of the oven. One of my New Year’s resolutions is to start baking again regularly and share recipes with others on my blog.
What are your favorites? If you have a great recipe that's easy to make (think: "kid-friendly"), we want to know! Leave us a comment.
In the meantime, my boys loved this banana bread recipe. My friend Moe found it on CooksIllustrated.com, but I added some of my own "Sheila modifications"
Yummy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
(Makes one 9-inch loaf or great muffins, too.)
Some quick prep:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and adjust rack to lower/middle position.
2. Melt 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
3. Use 4 bananas in this recipe (I like to freeze bananas that are overripe and then defrost them in the microwave for 2 minutes when I need them).
4. Grease 9-inch loaf or muffin pan with unsalted butter and sprinkle flour on the bottom to keep batter from sticking.
Mix dry ingredients in a bowl
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 12 tablespoons sugar
• ¾ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon salt
• Heaping ½ cup of bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
• OPTIONAL (which I don’t use because of allergies in my family) 1 ¼ cups toasted walnuts, chopped course (or about 1 cup when chopped).
Use blender and mix in following:
• 4 very ripe, soft, darkly speckled, large bananas, mashed well (better if overripe and previously frozen)
• ¼ cup of vanilla yogurt (I use the Vanilla Bean flavored Wallaby Yogurt, from Whole Foods)
• 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
• 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter that was previously melted and cooled
• ¾ teaspoon of vanilla extract
Fold banana mixture into dry ingredients by blending on light speed until batter looks thick and chunky. Scrape batter into greased loaf pan.
Bake until loaf is golden brown. Test by inserting a toothpick into the center of the loaf until it comes out clean. Depending on your oven, you'll have to bake for about 40-55 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Serve warm right away. If you're enjoying it later, heat slices in the microwave for 20 seconds before serving.
(And don't forget to leave a comment with your own great recipes, too.)