What are some questions I can ask the potential clients who are considering me to be their nanny?
There are so many questions you can ask a potential family, but there are certain ones that I feel are a must.
- Do you use a nanny contract?
- What household duties are expected of me?
- What are my paid vacation days?
- Do I get sick days?
- How do you like to communicate with the nanny throughout the day? Email? Text? Phone calls? Photos?
- What is the household's views on discipline?
- Views on TV and electronics in general?
- Will I be using your car or mine? Will you be including a mileage fee?
- Are there pet care responsibilities?
- What kind of cooking is involved?
A well thought out list to take with you or have in front of you during a phone interview is a must, that way nothing gets overlooked. I usually make several copies just to have on hand for each family I interview with. It really helps when you get down to making a final choice.
Sometimes my best questions come out of just having a conversation with a potential family. Go with the flow and see where it leads.